Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Republican Party's Bone Deep Racism




The Daily Show: NC Republican Official Don Yelton Reveals Bone Deep Republican Racism
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/dxhtvk/suppressing-the-vote

***


Racism: The GOP's Daily Bread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDXbpvcihcY
***

'
Colin Powell's Chief of Staff: "The Republican Party Is Full Of Racists"
Today, 10-27-2012, I did six hours of field work for the Obama campaign in Orange County, North Carolina.

In the rural northern part of the county I knocked on one door looking for a 49 year old male and spoke with his 75 year old Dad who told me "Nick" was on a Mexican cruise with his mother. 

I listened to the fellow reminisce about growing up in Missouri. 

"I use to be a racist," he said. "But over the years, I saw there wasn't any real difference between one human and another. I'll tell you something though... If my Daddy were still alive, he'd be a racist to this very day. You suck on that stuff long enough and it won't ever come out. What baffles me most, though, is all these Republican Christians totally cocksure they're God's chosen people 'til you hear 'em open the pie hole and, by God, they're more racist than George Wallace."

***

In 2010, while manning the Democratic Party "table" at my local polling place on Election Day, my Republican counterpart at the next table made me realize what I'd been overlooking for decades: Republicans stand on "anecdote" while spurning statistical analysis of phenomenological fact.

How so?

If a Republican has a black friend - or if s/he knows a Republican with a black friend - then that's plenty of proof the whole GOP is "free of racism."

On the other hand, if you present the same Republican with libraries of peer-reviewed, statistically-analyzed research -- research that demonstrates with 98% confidence that global warming is a fact and 95% confidence that humans are largely responsible -- they will dismiss those statistics with the same cavalier contempt Cassius Clay reserved for his next opponent. 

Since anecdotes are a dime a dozen, Republicans can always find grounds for self-justification even though Colin Powell's Chief of Staff speaks God's Truth.

“Let Me Just Be Candid: My Party Is Full Of Racists” 
Colin Powell's Chief Of Staff

***

As soon as I uploaded the above post, I came upon a "textbook illustration" of my underlying point: Jon Stewart's recent interview with Hermann Cain. http://thehill.com/video/campaign/246649-herman-cain-polls-show-blacks-voting-for-obama-because-romney-supporters-were-working


***



No comments:

Post a Comment